At practice the other day I mentioned legendary college football coach Lou Holtz to one of our players. I was shocked when the young player wasn’t really sure who he was. I then remembered how old I was…..
So I told him I would find something from Coach Holtz for him and share it.
This is for him and anyone else who needs a little lift from Coach Holtz. This excerpt and rules are from one of his books.
Hope you share them with your young players. Enjoy!
‘Right about now,you may be asking who does this Holtz guy think he is? What qualifies him to tell me what I need to do to win everyday? Well, I’m with you. There’s nothing extraordinary about me. However,I have done a few things that I am proud of: I have been married to the same woman for thirty eight years…. all four of our children are college grads and,yes,they still speak to us. For two years running, an industry poll has selected me the best motivational speaker in the country. My tape, Do Right!, is the top selling motivational video of all time. I have appeared as a guest speaker before nearly every company listed in the Fortune 500. Four different presidents have invited me to the Oval Office. Though I’ve retired from football, I still work as a TV analyst for CBS Sports. And,as of this writing, I am one of the top fifteen winningest coaches in college football history.
So much for the advertisements for myself. I’m uncomfortable giving you my resume……Look, with the help of many people, I’ve been able to accomplish some notable things. If I could do them, so can you because I am no more gifted than anyone who ever drew a breath…. I graduated in the lower half of my high school class….I’ve had a pronounced lisp since childhood……I’m 5’10”, 150 pounds, wear thick glasses……My family was poor….No one from either side of my family never attended college…..
But given my background I know I have been blessed….and much of what I’ve accomplished came out of a strategy I devised long ago…..The plan is composed of ten steps….This is the plan.
1. The Power of Attitude. The attitude you choose to assume toward life and everything it brings you will determine whether you realize your aspirations. What you are capable of achieving is determined by your talent and ability. What you attempt to do is determined by your motivation. How well you do something is determined by your attitude.
2. Tackle Adversity. You are going to be knocked down. I have been on top and I have been at the bottom. To achieve success, you are going to have to solve problems. If you react positively to them, you’ll be stronger and better than ever. You can assume that your competitors have problems too. If you react to setbacks more quickly and positively, you gain a distinct advantage. I’ve never encountered a person who achieved anything that didn’t require overcoming obstacles. Expect them.
3. Have a sense of purpose.Understand what you are trying to do. Stay completely focused on your original and primary purpose. Do not be side tracked. If you own a business, help customers get what they want. If you want a promotion, give your employers what they want, somebody will who delivers a first-rate performance every day.
4. Make Sacrifice Your Ally. You can’t be successful without making sacrifices. Most losing organizations are overpopulated with people who constantly complain about life’s difficulties. The will drain your enthusiasm and energy. Take pride in making sacrifices and having self-discipline.
5. Adapt or Die. Things are always changing, so embrace the fact that your life and career are always in transition. Yes, you will achieve your goals, but don’t fall into the mistake of thinking you don’t have to do anything further. Even when you become number one, you will still need to stay focused on the fundamentals.
6. Chase Your Dreams. All great accomplishments start with a dream. Dreams fuel your enthusiasm and vision. They give you a burning desire to get up in the morning and achieve.
7. Nurture Your Self-Image. A positive self-image grows out of having strong character. To be trustworthy, committed to excellence, and show care for others are the underpinnings of a successful person.
8. Foster Trust. All relationships are based on trust. I can’t begin to tell you how many people I have seen ruin tremendous opportunities because they didn’t have the discipline and decency to do what’s right. Continually ask yourself, “Is this the right thing to do?” Do what you feel is right regardless of peer pressure or personal desires; success and confidence will not be far behind.
9. Commit to Excellence. Do everything to the best of your ability. Everybody wants to be associated with people who set and maintain high standards. When you lower standards, you only invite mediocrity.
10. Handle With Care. Treat others as you would like to be treated-with concern and care.
So that’s the plan. It has been the blueprint for my success and I am sure that if you follow it, you will achieve all the things you have set out to do…..Now let’s suit up. And let’s murmur a prayer for any opponents that dare get in our way. They are going to need all the help they can get…….”